Docket No. AD21-9-000
This Commissioner-led workshop will be webcast.
Free Webcast available (Best viewed using Microsoft Edge)
Virtual Listening Sessions and Public Comment Period
Take notice that the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (Commission) staff will convene, in the above-referenced proceeding, virtual listening sessions from March 17, 2021 to March 25, 2021, to solicit public input on how the Commission should establish and operate the Office of Public Participation (OPP) pursuant to section 319 of the Federal Power Act (FPA) (16 U.S.C. § 825q–1). The public may also submit written comments by April 23, 2021. The listening sessions will be led by Commission staff, and may be attended by one or more Commissioners.
In December 2020, Congress directed the Commission to provide a report, by June 25, 2021, detailing its progress towards establishing the OPP. Section 319 of the FPA directs the Commission to establish the OPP to “coordinate assistance to the public with respect to authorities exercised by the Commission,” including assistance to those seeking to intervene in Commission proceedings. (16 U.S.C. § 825q–1). A February 22, 2021 notice announced a Commissioner-led workshop to be held on April 16, 2021, from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Eastern time, and requested speaker nominations by March 10, 2021. The February 22, 2021 notice can be found on the Commission’s website and eLibrary.
Commission staff plan to hold listening sessions to hear from several stakeholder groups. The sessions will give members of the public an opportunity to provide their thoughts and ideas on how the Commission should create the OPP to encourage and facilitate public participation. Following a brief introduction from Commission staff, each session will be open to the public for 3-5 minutes of comment per participant. The Commission plans to hold the following sessions:
For questions about the listening sessions, please contact Stacey Steep of the Office of General Counsel at (202) 502-8148, or send an email to OPPWorkshop@ferc.gov, and Sarah McKinley, (202) 502-8368, email@example.com, for logistical issues.
Workshop Regarding the Creation of the Office of Public Participation
The workshop will provide interested parties with the opportunity to provide input to the Commission on the creation of the Office of Public Participation. The Commission intends to establish and operate the Office of Public Participation to “coordinate assistance to the public with respect to authorities exercised by the Commission,” including assistance to those seeking to intervene in Commission proceedings, pursuant to section 319 of the Federal Power Act (FPA). 16 U.S.C. § 825q–1. Congress directed the Commission to provide, by June 25, 2021, to the Committees on Appropriations of both Houses of Congress a report on the Commission’s progress towards establishing the Office of Public Participation, including an organizational structure and budget for the office, beginning in fiscal year 2022.
The Commission plans to hear input on the following considerations in forming the Office of Public Participation, including:
- the office’s function and scope as authorized by section 319 of the FPA;
- the office’s organizational structure and approach, including the use of equity assessment tools;
- participation by tribes, environmental justice communities, and other affected individuals and communities, including those who have not historically participated before the Commission; and
- intervenor compensation.
The Commission seeks nominations for stakeholder panelists to provide input about each of these areas of consideration at the workshop by March 10, 2020. Each nomination should indicate name, contact information, organizational affiliation, what issue area the proposed panelist would speak on, and suggested workshop topics to OPPWorkshopNominations@ferc.gov.
Supplemental notices will be issued prior to the workshop with further details regarding the agenda, panelists, meeting registration information, and electronic log-in information. The workshop will be open for the public to attend, and there is no fee for attendance.
For questions about the workshop, please contact Stacey Steep, Office of General Counsel, (202) 502-8148, OPPWorkshop@ferc.gov
Date and Time
- Friday, Apr 16, 2021 (9:00 AM - 5:00 PM)
- Workshop/Listening Sessions are Eastern Daylight Time (EDT)
- How to eFile Office of Public Participation Comments
- How to Get Involved
- Notice for Virtual Listening Sessions and Public Comment Period
- Supplemental Notice of Virtual Listening Session and a Public Comment Period
- Supplemental Notice - Agenda
- Supplemental Notice and Agenda 04-09-21
- Anuncio De Sesion Virtual Para Escuchar en Espanol re La Oficina de Participacion Publica
- Notice of Virtual Spanish Listening Session re The Office of Public Participation
- Panel 1 Bios and Testimony
- Panel 2 Bios and Testimony
- Panel 3 Bios and Testimony
- Panel 4 Bios and Testimony
- Panel 5 Bios and Testimony
Point of Contact
Office of Public Participation WorkshopFor questions about the workshopEmail: OPPWorkshop@ferc.gov