With respect to Natural Gas projects, FERC safeguards the environment by:
- Disclosing, analyzing and minimizing impacts where it is feasible and reasonable to do so.
- Encourage applicants to communicate with relevant federal and state natural resources agencies, Indian tribes, and state water quality agencies, prior to submitting an application.
- Ensuring that all applicants perform the necessary studies to make an informed decision on the project.
- Issuing environmental assessments (EA) or draft and final environmental impact statement (EIS) for comment on most projects.
- Including requirements with any certificate issued to reduce environmental impacts.
Visiting proposed project areas to determine the range of environmental issues requiring analysis and holding scoping meetings as appropriate.
This program involves the use of independent contractors to assist Commission staff in its environmental review and preparation of environmental documents.