FOIA – Privacy Act Process
The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission administers policies, programs, and procedures to ensure compliance with the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) , 5 U.S.C. § 552, and the Privacy Act (PA), 5 U.S.C. § 552a, as amended.
Under FOIA any person has the right to request public access to federal agency records or information. The agency must release the records upon receiving a written request unless the records fall within the nine exemptions and three exclusions outlined in the Act.
The PA is a companion to the FOIA, which establishes a presumption that any person has the right to request access to records in the possession of the Executive Branch of the Federal Government. The PA and the FOIA have different procedures and exemptions. Consequently, information that is exempt from disclosure under one Act may be disclosable under the other. The PA allows individuals to learn how the Federal Government collects, maintains, uses, and disseminates records containing personal information. It also safeguards confidentiality by limiting or restricting disclosure of personally identifiable records maintained by Federal agencies. The PA allows individuals to gain access to their own personal records (unless the requested records are exempted from disclosure) and to seek correction or amendment of Federally maintained records that are inaccurate, incomplete, untimely, or irrelevant.
- How to file an FOIA-Privacy Act Request
- How to file an FOIA Expedited Process Request
- How to file an FOIA Administrative Appeal
Status of FOIA Request
The Commission’s FOIA Service Center is the first place an FOIA requester may come to seek information concerning the status of FOIA request and appropriate information about the agency’s FOIA response Service Center.
Reading Room Materials
The Commission's FOIA Reading Room contains easy access to such things as orders, policy statements, manuals, and frequently requests materials. Read More
- Electronic Resources of Information: Before you file an FOIA request, review our online resources to learn more about what and where we have information available. Read More
Frequently Requested Processed Records: Check the list to see if the FOIA information you want has previously been processed. Read More
- FOIA Logs
- FOIA Annual Reports
- FOIA Quarterly Reports
- Federal Procurement Data System – Next Generation
- U.S. Department of Justice FOIA Section
- President Obama's Memorandum on FOIA (Issued January 21, 2009)
- Attorney General's Memorandum on FOIA (Issued March 19, 2009)
- FERC Backlog Reduction Goals
- Report on Improving Agency Disclosure of Information, Prepared Pursuant to Executive Order 13392 (Issued June 13, 2006)
- Citizen's Guide on using the FOIA
- FOIA Improvement Act of 2016
- Public Reference Room
- Administrative Appeals
- Fee Waivers