The Division of Dam Safety and Inspections, Office of Energy Projects, has revised Chapter 2 of the Engineering Guidelines on Selecting and Accommodating Inflow Design Floods for Dams. The guidelines are revised to replace the recommendation to perform dam break analyses using the NWS DAMBRK and FLOODWAV Models which are no longer supported by the National Weather Service.
The revised guidelines state HEC-RAS is the recommended one-dimensional model to use for performing dam break analyses but to allow the use of the other one-dimensional and two-dimensional models if pre-agreed to by the Commission. The guidelines state that existing analyses using NWS DAMBRK and FLDWAV are still acceptable, but any new or revised analyses should not use these models. The guidelines also update some definitions and remove references to obsolete/superseded documents.
A detailed description of all changes is described by following this link: Revisions
- Chapter 1 – General Requirements, (Final Version)
- Revised Chapter 3 – Gravity Dams
- Chapter 4 – Embankment Dams (Revised Draft Version)
- Chapter 6 – Emergency Action Plans (Final Version)
- Final Revised Engineering Guidelines Chapter 11 - Arch Dams
- Chapter 13 – Evaluation of Seismic Hazards (Revised Draft Version)
- Chapter 14 – Emergency Action Plans (Final Version)
- Chapter 14 – Radial Gate Inspection Reports Appendix L
- Testing and Reporting on Spillway Gate Operations
- Revised Dam Safety Surveillance Monitoring Plan and Report (DSSMP/DSSMR) - Appendices J and K
- Status of Proposed New Chapters and Proposed Revisions
- Annual Spillway Gate Operation Certificate PDF
- Annual Spillway Gate Operation Certificate DOC