FERC’s Division of Dam Safety and Inspections (D2SI) will be conducting additional training classes on Revisions to the Part 12 Program and other risk analysis-related topics as indicated in the table below:
Overview of Revisions to Part 12 Program | Registration
May 18, 2023
FERC L2RA Process Guidelines | Registration
July 26 & 27, 2023
Sept 6-8, 2023
Additional information on these training classes, including registration information will be provided in the near future.
More information on the above training is provided below.
Overview of Revisions to Part 12 Dam Safety Program
This four-hour training provides an overview of regulatory changes resulting from the issuance of a final rule by FERC (Order No. 880), which revised parts of 18 CFR Part 12, and the associated issuance of four new chapters of our Engineering Guidelines:
- Chapter 15: Supporting Technical Information Document and Digital Project Archive
- Chapter 16: Part 12D Program
- Chapter 17: Potential Failure Modes Analysis
- Chapter 18: Level 2 Risk Analysis
Follow this link to register for this training: https://www.hydro.org/ferc-division-of-dam-safety-and-inspections-training-hosted-by-nha/
Introduction to USACE SQRA and FERC L2RA Process and Guidelines, DLS-102
Explore how to prepare for, calculate and evaluate the results of semi- quantitative risk assessments (SQRA). The training will focus on the L2RA process, the calculations and information required to complete an L2RA, and how the L2RA results are used.
Target Audience - Technical staff of FERC licensees and consultants who
will be participating in or leading L2RA for a variety of purposes. This course
is appropriate for participants with other backgrounds or goals who could benefit from understanding all aspects of SQRA and L2RA.
Format - In-person, one day. This course will include lectures and demonstrations from USACE and FERC experts as well as hands-on exercises.
A workbook of required materials and online resources will be provided to participants. Participants must bring a laptop.
Registration & More Information – This course is team-taught by US Army Corps of Engineers and FERC D2SI RIDM Branch staff.
Professional Development Hours (PDH) 8 PDHs
(Registration subject to availability and is not guaranteed) Register at the following link: RMC Training (army.mil)
This training will provide an understanding of flood hazard theory and methodology and how to develop hydrologic loading curves for Level 2 Risk Analysis (L2RA) using U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Risk Management Center RMC-BestFit and RMC-RFA tools. The training will provide participants with the knowledge and understanding needed to perform routine and non-routine Hydrologic Hazard Analysis (HHA) for Risk Analysis. Participants will learn how to:
- Perform and review Hydrologic Hazard Analysis using RMC BestFit and RMC-RFA software.
- Identify data needs for Hydrologic Hazard Analyses commensurate with the purpose, type, and level of Risk Analysis.
- Develop flow-, volume-, and stage-frequency curves.
- Interpret and communicate flood hazard analysis results.
Full agenda here.
The training will be conducted at the FERC Headquarters, 888 First Street NE, Washington, DC. FERC-D2SI staff will conduct the training.
We encourage licensees, consultants, and others interested to attend.
To register, send the following information to: RIDM@ferc.gov
Years of experience:
FERC licensee (Y/N):
The registration deadline is Friday, August 25, 2023.
Space is limited to 60 participants. Participants from the same company or organization may be limited if the demand is high.
Downloads & Course Materials
Link to training materials: Training Materials
This training course includes demonstrations of spreadsheet tools (toolboxes) from RMC software and hands-on learning activities. Participants are required to bring a laptop and to download and install the following before the training:
- RMC Toolboxes
- Visit www.rmc.usace.army.mil/Software/
- Click on “View Details” under each application: “RMC-RFA” and “RMC-BestFit”
- Click on the “Download” button and install the software
Other Risk Analysis Training Classes
Please refer to:
- The US Army Corps of Engineers, Risk Management Center training page, at: https://www.rmc.usace.army.mil/Training/
- US Society on Dams training page, at: https://www.ussdams.org/conferences-workshops/
Surveillance & Monitoring