December 17, 2020
- Item G-1: Staff Presentation on Five-Year Review of the Oil Pipeline Index (RM20-14-000) News Release | Staff Presentation | Order G-1
- Item G-10: Staff Presentation on Oil Pipeline Affiliate Contracts (PL21-1-000) News Release | Order G-10
June 18, 2020
- Item G-1: FERC Issues Notice of Inquiry on Five-Year Review of the Oil Pipeline Index News Release | NOI
Regulating Oil Pipelines
The Commission's responsibilities include:
- Regulation of rates and practices of oil pipeline companies engaged in interstate transportation;
- Establishment of equal service conditions to provide shippers with equal access to pipeline transportation; and
- Establishment of reasonable rates for transporting petroleum and petroleum products by pipeline.
Safety & Inspections
Once oil projects become operational, safety is regulated, monitored and enforced by the Department of Transportation.
FERC has no jurisdiction over construction or maintenance of production wells, oil pipelines, refineries, or storage facilities. The Environmental Protection Agency has jurisdiction over oil spills.
The Commission receives an annual appropriation from Congress to defray its operating costs.