FERC is responsible for:
- Regulating the interstate transportation of natural gas, oil, and electricity;
- Regulating the wholesale sales of electricity and oil (individual states regulate retail sales);
- Licensing and inspecting hydropower projects;
- Approving the construction of interstate natural gas pipelines, storage facilities, and Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) terminals;
- Monitoring energy markets and companies to protect customers from market manipulation and higher prices; and
- Resolving disputes between energy companies, other organizations, and the public.