Skip Navigation
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

Industries Hydropower General Information Administration and Compliance

Text Size small medium large
How to Transfer a License or Exemption

The Commission issues licenses and exemptions for hydropower projects under the provisions of the Federal Power Act (FPA). Section 4 of the FPA PDF requires licensees to be citizens of the United States of America, or associations or corporations organized under the laws, or municipalities. A licensee or exemptee may want to transfer their project to another entity.

  • Licensed projects may be transferred only with prior Commission approval.
  • Exempted projects may be transferred without prior approval, but the parties are required to notify the Commission..

This information is to provide basic guidance to parties interested in transferring a license or exempted hydroelectric project. It contains information about the transfer process, links to the Commissionís rules and regulations, and a link to the application form for license transfers.