About FERC Office of Electric Reliability
The Division of Engineering and Logistics analyzes, monitors and addresses issues concerning the nation's bulk power system performance. It monitors the bulk power system in real-time, providing assessments of events. It also performs longer-term assessments of resource adequacy and reliability. Actively provides technical support and leadership as part of reviewing reliability-related actions occurring throughout the Commission, with a focus on evaluating relevant engineering subject matter and potential reliability impacts to the bulk power system. Support ERO oversight through reviewing the annual budget, following stakeholder processes, reviewing ERO assessments, and processing other non-standards related ERO filings and matters.
- Oversee review of non-standards related NERC activities, including the business plan and budget, the five-year performance assessment, Rules of Procedure changes, among others. Coordinate staff oversight and review of NERC guidelines, lessons learned, and other non-regulatory activities.
- Review electric rate filings to determine those with reliability implications. Actively support Office of Energy Market Regulation-led teams, making certain that such filings are evaluated for their reliability/engineering aspects and potential impacts to the bulk power system.
- Lead technical and engineering analyses for input into electric orders in order to meet the Commission's goal of protecting and improving the reliability of the bulk power system.
- Validate simultaneous transmission import limit studies related to FPA Section 205 market-based rate applications and FPA Section 203 merger applications.
- Provide technical and engineering support to the Office of Energy Policy and Innovation (OEPI) on reliability in the development of the Commission's policy initiatives. Also provide technical analysis and support to the Office of Enforcement (OE) in reviewing and analyzing transmission issues resulting from hotline calls and investigations.
- Monitor and participate in regional and interregional planning processes to determine if proposed and approved projects are sufficient to meet reliability requirements.
- Provide support to the Office of Energy Projects for the invocation of backstop siting authority when required.
- Oversee the ERO's resource adequacy assessments to identify and investigate constraints on the bulk power system.
- Provide the Commission with informed analysis of the bulk power system's real-time operations and planning studies through the review of ERO seasonal and long-term studies and through independent analysis.
- Operate a 24/7 emergency message notification system to monitor the integrity of the bulk power system and provide timely information to the Commission during emergencies, system disturbances involving natural or other causes.
- Coordinate fact-gathering analyses of events and disturbances prior to event analyses or compliance investigations.
- Provide the Commission with informed analysis of emerging reliability issues.
- Participate in industry meetings that manage, define and contribute to the NERC guidelines development process.
- Support as necessary, the other divisions' activities and requirements.