Skip Navigation
Federal Energy Regulatory Commission

Text Size small medium large
General Filing Requirements

1. What is the EQR quarterly filing schedule?
The EQR submission covers all services the public utility provides in accordance with the following schedule:

  • For the period from January 1 through March 31, file by April 30;
  • For the period from April 1 through June 30, file by July 31;
  • For the period July 1 through September 30, file by October 31; and
  • For the period October 1 through December 31, file by January 31

If the last day of the filing month falls on a weekend, the filing date becomes the next business day.

2. How do I request an EQR filing extension?
Official communications to FERC on a specific EQR extension must be:

  • Sent to the Secretary, FERC, 888 First Street, NE, Washington, DC 20426;
  • Filed using either eFiling, mail, or delivery services;
  • Received by FERC prior to the EQR filing deadline; and
  • Identified by docket number ER02-2001-000

Prepare a letter of request for extension including the current date, the docket number, the name of the company requesting an extension, a contact name and telephone number, the specific reason for the extension, and the proposed date by which the company will submit the EQR.

3. Can I file a letter or make an eFiling to FERC as an EQR submission, instead of using EQR electronic software?
No. FERC Order 2001 prescribed the electronic filing requirements of the EQR.

The only exception is that you may update data previously submitted via an eFiling for the 2nd and/or 3rd quarters of 2002.

Original submissions for any quarter beginning with the 2nd quarter of 2002 must be made using the EQR software.

4. Do I need to file an EQR for a company with no contracts or transaction data to report for that particular quarter?
Yes. The Respondent Name, DUNS Number and contact data, the Seller Company Name and DUNS Number, and the Agent Company Name are the minimum data allowable, and need to be filed whether or not there are contracts or transactions.

If you have no effective or current Contracts or Service Agreements, you should leave the Contract and Contract Products screens blank. However, Filer, Contract, Contract Products, and Transactions data are required once your FERC tariff or rate schedule has sales against it. Once you have an effective tariff or rate schedule on file at FERC, you will continue to file the EQR for every quarter until all of your tariffs or rate schedules are terminated.

Once you report the contract's termination, it can drop off the report. Transactions that occur within the reporting quarter, relative to a contract are reported for that quarter.

Companies that have requested and received a filing waiver from FERC are not required to file.

5. Our company has Market-Based Rate Authority but has no contracts and has not made any sales. We have a Respondent but no Seller to list in the Filer portion of the EQR. Can I file the EQR with only the Respondent screen completed?
No. The system will not permit the filing of an EQR without at least one Seller Company Name and DUNS number listed. Other required filer data includes all of the Respondent information and the Agent Company Name. The company that received Market-Based Rate Authority is the Seller. The company of the person who actually makes the filing is the Agent.

6. Do I need to report energy purchases?
No. Purchases are not reported. Only sales are reported in the EQR.

7. If an entity with Market-Based Rate Authority changes hands, which company is responsible for reporting the EQR for that quarter?
Both are. Each company files the EQR for the portion of the quarter during which it owned the entity.

8. What about transmission contracts and transmission transactions? Do they need to be reported in the EQR?
Pure transmission contracts must be reported. Pure transmission transactions made under those contracts do not. However, Transmission transactions which are part of the sale of other energy commodities must be reported.

9. We have made energy sales but don't have any Contracts or Contract products. How do I report that information on the EQR?
If your company has agreed to deliver a commodity, service or product, then you have a contract, though it may be called by some other name, such as Service Agreement. Consequently, if you have made power sales, then you have a Contract and at least one Contract Product that you must report in the EQR. Since you have made sales, you also have Transactions that you must report in the EQR.

10. What is a Contract Product?
A Contract Product is the commodity your company has agreed to provide or sell.

11. We are a Corporation acting as the Agent for all of our various Market Based Rate (MBR) entities. Is there a way to use Corporation's pin number to make all of the filings?
Yes. The Corporation can be the Respondent, and the MBR entities (assuming that they are utilities, i.e., each having Market-Based Rate Authority in their own name) can be listed as Sellers. One caution is that the Transaction Identifier (Column 52 on the spreadsheet) needs to be unique throughout the file. For instance, if the various Sellers have Unique IDs that start at 1 and increment up, in the Transaction Identifier column you might want to put an alpha character in front of each ID to identify the Seller to which the transaction belongs. If you want to file a separate EQR for each Seller, they must be Utilities as defined by the Federal Power Act. The companies can be added to the EQR Company List and have a PIN code assigned to each. For that to occur, email FERC Online.

12. If Booked Out Power is my Product Name in Transactions do I need to list Booked Out Power as the Product Name in the Contract portion of the EQR?
No. Contracts do not detail bookouts as a product therefore you would not list it as one. The Contract Product Name would be listed as Energy. However, once a book-out has been transacted, the Transaction portion of the EQR must accurately list the Product Name as Booked Out Power.